As a member of council: recreation, industry and taxes, have been my focus. Each is very important to the future of Caledon.
Recreation in the form of two new arenas in Caledon East is the centre point for both hockey and lacrosse and grows the opportunity for youth and adults alike to keep active. The purchase of the Johnston Farm for outdoor sports fields will also expand opportunities. We need to continue to develop recreation:
- with the completion of Phase 3 of the Caledon East Community Centre
- continue to develop the Johnston Farm with sports groups to include passive recreation opportunities and the location of an indoor sports field for soccer.
- invest in the trail system and other forms of unorganized recreation opportunities
I would also like to work on recreation opportunities that can be delivered to the villages like Mono Mills and Palgrave in a cost-effective manner.
We need to continue to attract businesses to Caledon and expand our industrial areas in Tullamore, South Albion and in the Mayfield West area. This is going on now and must continue so that we can reduce the tax load on the residential taxes. The businesses that exist in the rural areas of Caledon need to be supported so they can expand and contribute to the overall benefit of the town, be they small home-based businesses, golf courses or agriculture.
Taxes are used to pay for the expenses of the town while doing the work for the residents. We need to continue to ensure that every dollar provides maximum value.
Residential growth will also contribute to the tax base as will more industrial growth. However, the residential tax base cannot continue to carry the cost of road development and maintenance. I will work toward accessing a fair share of the gas tax money for our road maintenance and repair.
I will work to grow the rural economy while continuing to protect the natural environment.
User fees contribute to the revenue of the town and we need to do more value-added work to increase total amount of user fees collected.
Residential growth, like what is happening in Caledon East, is good when it happens on the communities’ terms. That is exactly what is happening and will continue to happen in Caledon East. The Caledon East Secondary Plan outlines the location and type of development. As Councillor I will insure the community continues to be a part of any plan, and will work with the residents and developers to do exactly that. This will provide an opportunity to increase the mix of homes in Caledon East and support local businesses.
New Sources of Revenue
As the Area Councillor for Wards 3 and 4 I would:
- increase commercial development by streamlining and reducing the bureaucracy associated with the building/planning process in the Town of Caledon
- urge the Town to pursue innovative solutions to meet the challenges of providing recreational opportunities
- promote Agri-tourism as a recent movement to our area that enhances the rural economy while improving quality of life for our visitors and our residents
- support events that positively showcase Caledon, like the PanAm Games, and will work with the organizers, officials and residents of the area to ensure that such events are a success for all.